A few months ago, my toddler Maisie helped herself to a ‘snack’ while I was distracted on the phone. She found this snack under the sink in the form of a little plastic package. She ripped open the plastic and took a bite out of a dish washing tablet. I heard terrifying screams coming from the kitchen, and with one swoop I picked her up, and held her upside down under the tap in the bathtub. Her face was red from the panic as she coughed and spluttered under the streaming water.
I rang the poison hotline and they informed me that she’d probably be ok if she hadn’t displayed any symptoms of having burns to her mouth already. The dishwasher tablets were a low tox variety I had purchased on a well known low tox website. I tried to find the ingredients to read out to the phone operator on the other end. They weren’t listed.
It makes my stomach churn to think about chemical laden tablets we used to use, and to think if it was a normal supermarket variety, she could have suffered severe burns to the mouth, throat and airways. And not to mention consuming food from ‘clean’ dishes, with potentially toxic residue all over them.
This is the DIY recipe I use. It’s brilliant. It’s easy to make, cost effective, and SAFE.
- Put bicarb soda, citric acid, doTERRA On Guard Cleaner Concentrate, and Grapefruit oil in a mixing bowl. Mix together until the mixture is an even consistency.
- Place in silicon molds and let sit for four hours. Remove tabs.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Use in dishwasher in place of store-bought dishwasher tablets.
Here’s how to clean a dishwasher
- Remove the bottom dish rack. Inspect the dishwasher drain, removing any gunk or food caught there. This will improve drainage, increase cleaning efficiency and prevent damage to the dishwasher.
- Start with an empty dishwasher. Place a cup of white vinegar in a dishwasher-safe container on the upper rack of the machine. Run the dishwasher through a hot-water cycle. This will wash away grease and grime and remove musty odours too.
- Sprinkle one cup of bicarb soda and 5 drops of doTERRA lemon essential oil across the bottom of the dishwasher. Run a short, hot water cycle.